Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Not Quite Famous . . . but

I am a firm believer that entering photography contests is a good way to hone your skills. . .it does varied things about your ego however, depending on the results.  My graphic design business taught me early on that there is no room for ego in art.  Sometimes I thought I had designed the perfect logo, or ad for a client, and they would ultimately pic the one I hated.  Art is so subjective.
Often when I would get a bad result from a competition entry, I would stop entering for a while.  One can only take a limited amount of rejection!   But I am excited about my recent venture into the world of competition.  Every year, my favorite magazine, "Professional Photographer's" has a cover photo contest.  I decided to enter one of my favorite photos, one I took of brand new little Jackson asleep on a football that his dad was holding.  I thought his expression, and body position were just perfect...and besides, he is so damn cute!

About two months ago I got an email that I was a finalist.  I was over the moon excited, and about a month ago I found out I got an honorable mention, and my photo would be in the November issue of their magazine.  Not quite over the moon, but still pretty stoked.  Today, the magazine arrived in my mailbox, and once again . . .over the moon.  It was so exciting to see my name in the magazine, and in the presence of some really great photography.

Lately I have been finding myself entering more contests....

No comments: