Thursday, December 23, 2010

Website, Resolutions, and other Random Thoughts

Well, I got my Christmas orders finished and we embarked upon our much needed vacation at our condo in Myrtle Beach.  We love it the "Beach" and really enjoy our condo here.  We bought it around the same time we bought our commercial property that I talked about in my last post...you know, that place that is now The Studio in the Valley.  Okay, so we may not have the best real estate timing sense, but at least we really love it here in Myrtle Beach, and are perfectly willing to wait this one out until the market turns around...I mean I could think of worse places to wait out a real estate downturn.  

Anyway, part of the plan here is relaxation and getting caught up for the upcoming year.  So it is somewhat of a working vacation. Considering how much I love what I do, working is a relative word.  Besides, the weather has been too cold for golf for the last few days.  First order of business was revamping my website.  I wanted to incorporate more of The Studio into my photography website, and make my blog more visible.  I also updated my gallery. . . so some of my recent brides and parents, look for the updated pics.  You probably made the website.  I would love to get everyones opinion of the reworked site.  I think one of the first thing I do when I get back to The Studio, will be to take a new photo of me.  I am not sure how I feel about my picture on the splash page of my website.  I mean, that is one of the reasons, I am BEHIND the camera!
So here is the splash page from my new website.  Whatdaya think?


Next on my agenda is to actually get my bookkeeping and financial management system in order.  YIKES.  Did I just say that?  It's kind of like starting a diet.  Once you start, you realize it is a marathon, not a sprint.  I even went to a business coaching seminar, and am thinking about using this business coach that taught the seminar. Maybe I will actually find out if I made money this year, and learn to run my business like all my photographer idols say I should.  

Last year perhaps the most influential thing I did was to attend Imaging USA.  For all my non-photographer friends, that is an annual photographic convention and trade show, that is attended by about 10,000 photographers, and is 3 intensive days of seminars and trade show.  I implemented some of the things I learned there and it really changed my photographic life in a huge way.  I resolved then, to attend either Imaging or WPPI (a similarly huge show held annually in Vegas).  I just made my reservations to Vegas in February.  I can't wait.  I also resolve to always learn more.  It keeps me fresh and helps give my work the edge I need to be the kind of photographer I always wanted to be.  There is always more to learn.

So I hope to get back to Virginia, caught up with my jobs (there is always more jobs to complete, even after the holidays), and a little better at golf.   The chances of getting caught up on my work, is much better than improving my golf game however.

In the meantime, I reflect on what a great year this was, and how grateful I am to all of my wonderful clients, for entrusting me with your wedding days, newborns, and  lifelong memories.  I am indebted to you all and totally humbled by your trust and confidence.

I wish everyone a VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR.  


No comments: